So when I first got Popeye (the chair I’m reupholstering slooooowly that only has one button on the back so Krissie called it Popeye) many years ago, he needed a footstool and I found a butt-ugly one at Goodwill for not much. (Twenty bucks maybe? Not more. I’m cheap.) It was this hideous gray-green ribbed fabric, so I covered it with three different kinds of red upholstery and shoved it up next to Popeye who was also wearing red at the time. Then the dogs destroyed the top, and rather than reupholster it, I spray-painted it blue with plastic paint. (You can get spray fabric dye, too.) But now Popeye is getting a makeover, so Swee’Pea must change, too. Besides, it was looking really bad:
So the first thing to do is cover up the bottom layer which called for one long piece of tough blue fabric because it was going to get kicked a lot. I love this rich blue fabric, but for Swee’ Pea, the wrong side was lighter and better. (Ottoman is on its side in this picture.)
So I wrapped it around the bottom and sewed it under the top cushion. Nobody’s ever going to see the stitches there, so they’re sloppy.
Then I turned Swee’Pea on his back so I could see the bottom, turned under a half inch of fabric, and stapled the edge to the underside. (See feet picture below for staples.) Again, nobody should be looking down there, so I’m leaving the staples bare, but if you’re fussy, you can cut a rectangle of fabric, hem all the edges and sew it over the staples.
Bottom done, now the top. Because Swee’Pea has a fat round edge, I didn’t baste the corner on, I just draped the fabric over the top right side up, pulled it under the cushion, and stitched it down underneath, the same way I’d done the bottom. Then I folded the corners in and stitching the corner edges together, the same way I did on Blutto.
Now came a decision. I could cut a wide strip of fabric and sew it over the space between the top and bottom cushion, or I could just sew the top cushion to the bottom and leave it plain. Lani voted for plain, and if I decide I want fancy I can always add something later, so plain it is: I sewed the edge of the top cushion to the bottom all the way around, hiding the original sloppy stitching between the cushions. And now that I look at it, Lani’s right: simple is better, especially since Swee’ Pea is going to be next to Popeye who is the antithesis of simple. Here’s Swee’Pea in progress, next to Bluto (with a DVD controller for scale):
Last change: Better feet. Alastair pried the old ones off for me, and I screwed the new plates in and then screwed ball feet into the plates and topped them with plastic sliders. If I had it to do again, I’d have gotten BIG bun feet, but for right now, these will do.
Then I sprayed about four coats of Scotchguard over the top, and here’s Swee’Pea. My version has feet.