Krissie has dubbed The Chair “Popeye” because it only has one button on its back (so far), so I’ve started calling the other things around The Chair by other names from the Popeye cast. The easiest project so far: Bluto, an oversized footstool that competes with Popeye as major seating (that sucker is big). Bluto entered my life as a very old black leather-topped ottoman that my next door neighbor had put out for a porch sale and failed to sell. I put a four-inch-thick piece of foam on top, covered that with batting, and then stretched some upholstery material over that. Why I liked that upholstery is beyond me; it’s butt ugly. But Bluto is now reborn and here’s how I did it using the Crusie Non-Professional Really Sloppy But Oddly Soothing Upholstery Method. (Hand-sewing makes me calm.)
First I painted the legs white to brighten it up.
Then I stretched some nice bright blue fabric over it, wrong side up. I pinned the corners so they lay flat, all the extra material pointing out.
I basted the corners in place (just a running stitch, nothing fancy), and trimmed off the excess fabric.
Then I turned the cover right side out and pulled it over the ottoman top again. I pinned the basted corners tight against the ottoman and then with needle and thread, stitched down the corners so they were sewn not only to each other but also to the ottoman top. You want to take small stitches on the outside and let the longer stitches run behind the fabric, so you come up with your needle and then move it over an eighth of an inch or less before you go back down behind the fabric (that example in the photo is probably too big of a stitch. Do as I say, not as I do). You’re trying for tiny stitches that bind the edges on the outside. Or just take long stitches; anybody who looks that closely at your furniture probably shouldn’t be invited back.
Finally, I folded over the bottom edges to make a hem and, using a staple gun, stapled the edges to the wood frame of the ottoman. I used lots of staples since people are going to be sitting on this thing and pulling on the fabric.
For trim, I made a chain using cotton yarn that was long enough to go all the way around that stapled edge and then worked three rows of single crochet on top of that. Then I stretched the crocheted strip over the staples, sewed the top edge to the upholstery, and glued the bottom edge down using clear tacky glue. The blue I was using for Popeye’s gimp did not match Bluto, but they’re both blue so it was close enough.
And Ta Da! Bluto.
Yes, I know it’s not a professional job. I don’t care. I like it.
And now on to Sweet Pea . . .